Baby Bee on the fifth hill

The conquest of Ngong Hills has been completed. The adventure became another great memorabilia of epic exultation portions of endorphins pumped victory. A lone title earned for the third time, no trophy but a mountainous legacy achieved simply out of sheer eccentrics. I could enjoy my cold ginger coffee and peanut mandazis in glorious mouthful indulgence. After I had my fill, I switched my attention to my cleats. The ridge’s mud has fossilized under my boots. No stick could remove the natural brown concrete. I did the best I could, wore my night glasses, took one memorable look at the mountain west of Olepolos and zoomed down the meander drop to Kiserian Town. It was 6:28pm, Munchkin was zooming superfast as She whooshed past two nduthi guys at 58kph. I had to slow Her down as we approached an oncoming Probox that was avoiding a huge pothole on its leftside. The local women kept looking at me as if I was a foreigner; maybe cyclists don’t ride here mostly. A lone cyclist in a navy blue steel mountain bike was climbing up strong. We greeted each other as I made the right turn to the 2 kilometer straight drop. Here, I had to keep looking back to keep track of the tailgating cars. Tsibektican however, was not taking caution as She kept garnering speed. This white Probox came out of nowhere, zooming, only to slow down at the two bumps ahead. I don’t compete with the cars of Mamluki(Terrorists) so I let the mad driver rush on. Besides, Baby Bee was now been trailed by a luxurious white Ford pickup truck with foreign number plates. The driver was so easy going he kept 3 meters away from my Baby Girl’s wheel.

Magadi Road towards Olepolos

The road soon gathered a lot of moving lower limbs walking all about the area. Drunk men staggering into the road and carefree pedestrians, Kiserian has already caught up with her sister towns in Nairobi County in being a pack haven. Rising tall and tough, Kiserian’s Lung Buster awaited my prowess. Playing my cards right, I zoomed down the river valley to gain climbing momentum but this white Ranger Rover Discovery passed me and indicated a left turn 50 meters to the bridge. I was forced to slow my pace. I decided to let Her free fall as I shifted to climbing gears 48*28. Many hills and climbs have became cake slices thanks to constant training; this one was just another to be floored. Finally at the top, it was going to be a superfast drop to Rongai. I could see the SGR cutting across the landscape some 6 kilometers away. Hands sideways on the Spider Claws with both index fingers stretched forward, Munchkin was uncatchable. This dark car tried to play catch but the driver was probably wondering what this ‘kid’ had for lunch. Passing under the towered SGR, I clinged forward, going aero for the drop. A white sporty Toyota Hiace was just about to cut me off from the right as the driver wanted to enter the lane to Ongata Rongai. I’m glad he saw me and waited for me to zoom. Needless to say, what is with white cars this evening? My wonder moment was cut off like a snapped chain link when I caught sight of a bicyclist walking at the top of the river valley. The Hiace passed me and I lost track of the saddlist, only to see him pedalling fast away.

Mama Nature's souvenir from the thick forest of the sixth hill

My predatory grin was lit, the Big Gun shone in flare display through the dusk of Kajiado County. Munchkin began to roar as She launched an attack towards the escaping saddlist. Inching closer, speeding faster, I flew back to glorious youthful days as I imagined The Tsibektican on this well carpeted stretch cutting Rongai into half, with Frere Edouard song playing in my eardrums. Now She is here, in the now, on assault like the Gathondeki Tigress that She is. A bit of traffic at the main food market, Munchkin found less difficulty avoiding the fabrics of pedestrians as She passed the young rider. The front car trying to branch right gave us a clear lane for ourselves as we cruised in bossman (and Bossgirl) fashion towards the counties borderline, uninterrupted. Up the left rise toward Multimedia and we were met with what is the normal madness of overlapping cars and thick bumper-to-bumper traffic. I was not amused, but the respect the overlapping matatus and PSVs were giving The Tsibektican as they ducked left into the bushes made me laugh.” Yeah, you better run and hide you cowards,” I chuckled. Looks like they were not running from Her, but from this black Mercedes Benz that was silently cruising behind. On reaching the next stage, I let it pass as I attacked the famed Multimedia Hill. I was not easy, not because of its elevation but the dilapidated shoulder and narrow road meant I could not enjoy the climb to fruition. This Citi Shuttle nearly rubbed its paint on my exposed right elbow; we were now atop the rise, it was now time for ‘how fast is your engine buddy’. Tsibektican does not like bullies, She is the Bully; She has earned that. It was now a cat-and-mouse game in the dark blue night with Nairobi National Park adjacent to the right. Alas, the driver had to pick these three ladies at the stage and that was the last time her saw Sam and The Tsibektican.

We reached Galleria and zoomed fast down Langata Road. Speeds above 45kph, the red-black Wild Cat tyres roared with excellent cadence precision. Hands now firm on the Spider Claws, we were un-stop-pa-ble as we raced alongside cars at 48*11 gear ratio. There was a group of nightlife joggers at the walk path across the drainage, mostly women. My cheeky side was ignited as I yelled “Whoo Hoo” at 55kph. Most of them looked at the road but it will not hit them till later on that the author of the loud shout was the zooming cyclist who disappeared like a shooting star. This old Nissan pickup was speeding as fast as it could at the roundabout to Otiende. Cars were coming in hot so I had to yell as I increased cadence to reach past 60kph. I kept raising the speed as Munchkin zoomed down above the Southern Bypass to finally catch and overtake the Nissan as another white Toyota Matatu passed between us to slow at the stage below. No matter, the victory was ours and we went on strong and fast, taking a whole lane to ourselves. This Toyota Vitz driver was interested in my speeds as he kept a safe distance while I worked a quick pace down LA road.

All alone on Aerodrome road, the night was calm; The city was less occupied as it looked like 2am. I reached St. Pauls stage at 7:31pm, ready to rise up Waiyaki Way. Still having strength within my quads, I pushed hard towards Westlands. Afterwards I set the ratios to 48*24, a wise move to avert any muscle pull that might jump in. I was able to maintain a constant speed of 23kph all the way to Uthiru roundabout; did my highest up Kianda at 30kph as Baby Bee demanded for more speed. By 8:03pm, Munchkin and I were home through the front door. What’s funny is that I have only spent 5 shillings in the whole 100 kilometer journey. Well, it felt good to relive 2008 once again, only this time with a high level of experience.

9 views0 comments

©2020 by Bikeable. Proudly created with nothing but love for cycling.